Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Route 66 - Honey, Can I Buy This Train Set?







Teresa and I left The Route 66 Cafe the other morning we headed west on Route 66 (aka College Street) and it merges into Chestnut Expressway. We traveled about a mile down the road and Teresa actually spotted the little black locomotive sitting on a small stretch of track at Thomas Steel Company. I quickly spun the car around and headed back for the top picture.

Bill Thomas, the 81 year old owner of the company, spotted me and asked if I was interested in purchasing the little locomotive. He told me the tale of how he purchased the little locomotive from a mining operation near Rolla along with several trucks for cars. Mr. Thomas, who renovated the little engine, is in the second photo and the passenger car he is building is in the third photo.

The little locomotive is 3 foot gauge or narrow gauge. If you have ever ridden the Durango and Silverton or Cumbres and Toltec in Colorado you have ridden on a 3 foot gauge line. 3 foot gauge means there is only 3 feet spacing between the rails.

Please, Teresa, can I have this train. Oh yeah and I need about a 100 acres to go with it.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Cool find. Good luck on making it your own!

Jack said...

WOW! nice train...Yeah make it your won...lol....great to see this...

--
Jack
Best Affordable Security Systems Suitable for Renters and Apartments, Business and RV