Sunday, August 16, 2009

Route 66 - An Ozark Treasure, The Route 66 Cafe




Teresa had been wanting to try this cafe, so the other day with one of her teaching friends she stopped into The Route 66 Cafe. They both loved it and they got to meet and talk with the owner Victoria (top picture). Needless to say that is all I heard about Friday evening and Teresa is not an "eat out" person. So I am thinking in my head "this place has to be fantastic."

I suggested we try breakfast there Saturday morning and Teresa was ecstatic. Wow, she was right. I would say I had the best breakfast "out" that I have ever had. I tried the special which was ham steak and eggs and Teresa had the banana nut pancakes. Now, let me tell you about my ham steak and eggs. The ham steak was a true ham steak, thick and juicy; cooked to perfection. The eggs are fresh brown eggs from a local farmer. No processed eggs here and they were delicious. Add to that a generous helping of hash browns and biscuits and gravy, I literally rolled out the door in heaven. Teresa's banana nut pancakes were large and thick again with a generous topping of banana and nuts which were caramelized (I have no idea whether I am using the correct terminology) into a sauce laying on the pancakes. Add to this thick maple syrup and it was like eating a luxurious desert.

We talked to Victoria and asked if we could take some pictures for my blog. She agreed and here we are.

We are definitely huge fans of The Route 66 Cafe and Victoria. If you are ever in Springfield stop by and see her and tell her Mike (the photographer) sent you. You can find the cafe if you travel west on College Street from Kansas Expressway or east from Scenic. It is located next door to College Street Baptist Church. She is not open all the time so take a look at the middle picture for the hours. Four stars out of a possible four in my book!

7 comments:

Ron Thornton said...

Thanks for this series, Mike. I'm going there for sure!

Mark said...

Only wish I had known about it when we lived in Monett. Neat old building, too. Did you find out anything about its history?

DrillerAA09 said...

Wonderful looking little building.
I'll check it out next time I'm in town.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Thanks for the heads up! I've never been there! Twyla

Jack said...

Beautiful buildings...keep going man..u got a great talent..

--
Jack
Get the best FREE offers on the Best Home security Systems

The lake of the Ozarks said...

This is what I like to stay lake of the ozarks because their are lots of good food to eat..Someday I will visit this place..

Glynis said...

You are correct, it is the best breakfast out in town. Victoria is great and her food is amazing!