Saturday, October 03, 2009

Sunrise in Emporia



Most of you know of my great love for trains. Well, the first thing I do when I get to a new and exciting photo location is scout out the railroad facilities. I look for the possibility of action (active trains) layout (how will the light be at different times of the day) and atmosphere (does it give me a "railroady" feel). When I drove into Emporia after a long day on the road I immediately got excited. A major transcontinental mainline, east west orientation and good location with the signal bridges and three tracks. All I had to hope for was a terrific sunrise. Well here is the result. One of many shots from the morning.

Welcome to beautiful Kansas. It is much more than just interstate and endless flat sections.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Great photo, Mike.

Kansas might be much more than what you mentioned, but it certainly has more than its fair of those.

DrillerAA09 said...

Brilliant capture.
My father and grandfather were both Frisco railroad men. I broke the chain, but I do have a soft spot for the rails. Well done indeed.