Sunday, February 13, 2011

Simplicity - Observations


I know there are a few of you out there who wonder what happened to me. Well, I am still alive and kicking. Changing jobs and locations has changed my entire focus on life to some degree. That is what I want to discuss today.

I have noticed a strange trend in my life since I have moved to Fort Scott. I have much less of the temptations of acquiring stuff. In fact, I find myself even inclined to get rid of stuff, which as you recall from an earlier posting is essential. The funny thing though is as I get to know people here in town I notice that many if not all of them accumulate more money that stuff. Many of the people here are debt free even to the point of having homes paid off. How did I find this out? They just say that is the way it is. So the question I ask coming from a city where everyone is trying to keep up with everyone else is why? Are people in larger cities more likely to buy things, bigger and better because the neighbors have something? Do they see others buying things more and decide they need to have them? Is it because it takes more effort to get the extras of life?

It is probably all the above, but I think it is more likely that we realize we don't need all that stuff. Perhaps it is enough to talk to your neighbors and enjoy just the simple satisfaction of a conversation about the weather, or to laugh with those around you. Perhaps we realize the best time spent is that where you work in your yard or sit on the front porch and enjoy the passing of the day.

Either way I do like small town living...there is plenty to do and there is time to enjoy life.

More to come...

No comments: