Thursday, December 18, 2014

Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge

I am somewhat biased, but I believe the Wichita Mountains of Southwest Oklahoma are some of the most beautiful, enchanting and haunting mountains in the nation.  They are approximately 400 million years old and frankly there isn't much left of them.  Teresa and I went out on a rainy, blustery December Sunday morning to see them.  The rain, heavy at times, had just let up.  It has been very dry in Southwest Oklahoma so the soaking rain was a great relief.  It almost seemed like Elk Mountain was grateful as she showed her winter colors well after the rain.  I hope you enjoy the images.  







You can visit this beautiful place.  It is about 5 1/2 to 6 hours west on I-44.  Lawton, Oklahoma is the nearest city and is a great place to stay overnight for your visit.  Home to Cameron University and Fort Sill it has plenty to offer.

No comments: